Keep the Faith, Build Back Better
Right now, what is happening in Congress is complicated but we are firm in our values and moral vision calling for a Holy Recovery and to Build Back Better. Join us for a learning and strategizing event where leaders from Faith in Public Life Action and others will provide simple updates on the state of play in Congress, give spiritual nourishment and grounding for the fight ahead, hear from people in states like WV, TX, AZ, and end with a call to prophetic action.
October Recess Action Guide
We believe that a life of dignity and flourishing is what God wants for all of us. No matter what we look like, where we live, or how we earn a living, we all deserve to rest assured at the end of the day that the people we love have everything they need. Congress has an opportunity to pass a once in a generation investment in our families, communities, and futures. Build Back Better is our chance to rebuild and repair our communities devastated by COVID-19’s impact and decades of under-resourcing.
The Build Back Better bill must create a just and fair economy that honors the dignity of all people and reckons with longstanding racial and gender injustice the pandemic has exacerbated. It will only happen if we join together and demand a budget that invests in ALL of us. This is both a moral and political imperative that responds to our faith commitments to protect and uplift the most vulnerable and marginalized in our midst, including children.
The next few weeks are critical for both ensuring the Build Back Better legislation is shaped to meet the daunting challenges of our time and that it passes to become law. Right now, your Representative and Senators are in their districts and states until October 18th and they need to hear from YOU! We invite you to join people of faith across the country in taking action while your elected leaders are back home and in the coming weeks.
Advocacy Outreach Ideas:
1. Schedule a visit with your member during the recess. Check out this advocacy resource from Friends Committee on National Legislation to learn how to schedule an in-district lobby visit. Use the one-page summary of our demands for Build Back Better as a guide and leave behind for your meeting.
2. Drop the Build Back Better summary off at your members of Congress offices. Take a photo and share on social media to voice your support for Build Back Better. You can find the summary below. Use the hashtags #HolyRecovery and #BuildBackBetter and tag your elected officials when you post the photo on social media.
3. Write and pitch a letter to the editor at your local paper. Check out this resource from NETWORK Lobby for Catholic Social Justice for a step by step guide and messaging to write your letter.
4. Call your members of Congress to tell them you support big, bold, faithful investments in our communities and to pass Build Back Better. Use this tool from Faith in Public Life Action to find your members numbers, view a script, and make the call.
5. Talk to your community about the importance of Build Back Better. This package encapsulates a wide range of policies and can feel overwhelming, so we want to provide you with a concise overview of the faithful priorities in the Build Back Better bill so that you can confidently talk about these priorities with your friends, neighbors, and Members of Congress. Check out this resource for members of Congress to guide your conversations.